How to Fix ‘UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP’?
UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP error is related to the CPU and the Windows kernel. When the CPU generates an operation and the Windows kernel cannot pick it up, the system displays a blue screen with the error message UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP. Dust inside the PC case, broken hardware/software, corrupted system files or incompatible drivers also could be a possibility.
Fixing UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP
1. Check hardware/software on your PC
If you have installed new hardware (memory, hard drive, network card, etc.) or software on your PC, it may cause critical errors. Below, an easy plan of action:
- Uninstall recently installed software. It may be old and incompatible with the Window OS or the PC hardware itself.
- If you recently installed new hardware, remove it and put back the old hardware to make sure.
- Clean the PC from the dust inside. Note that you need to take out the RAM cards and put them back in.
- Note that you need to take out the RAM sticks and put them back in. Faulty external devices, like a flash drive or printer, can give this error. Unplug everything, and reboot the PC.
- Try a clean boot of the system.
2. Try to update device drivers
There is a good chance that the drivers on your PC are not suited for Windows 10/11. Update your device drivers through the Device Manager. If the system could not automatically update any driver, then go to the manufacturer’s website and download from the official site.
3. Diagnose RAM for errors
Press the Win+R key combination and type mdsched.exe to run the memory diagnostic. Follow the instructions on the screen. The diagnostics will start after your PC restarts.
4. Use System File Check
System files may be corrupted, which may cause an UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP error. Open a command prompt as admin and enter the sfc /scannow command. Wait a little bit and reboot the PC. Check, if the error is been fixed or not.
Did you get rid of the blue screen of death UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP? Please share your experiences in the comments! Also, if you know more solutions, please share them as well!